Although a logical decision, choosing to wear incontinence products because you suffer from incontinence can be one of the most difficult decisions an adult would need to make. However, regardless of how difficult the decision may appear to be, there are times when one is left with no other choice because suffering from a condition that makes you unable to control your bowel movements, will leave you scared about the possibility of embarrassing yourself in public.
Best Incontinence Pads for women
Here are some of the most common incontinence products for women:
- Pads and protective garments – these products are ideal for people suffering from mild level of incontinence. They come in a variety of sizes and absorbency abilities, making them the first choice for people with temporary incontinence.
- Absorbent pads – These are disposable and designed to be used by women. They come with adhesive tape and resemble the pads that women, who do not use tampons for their menses, would use. Their levels of absorbency, however, are higher than that of regular pads.
- Incontinence pads and briefs – they resemble regular underwear. They are however fitted with an absorbent lining that can absorb about 10 ounces of urine. Their exterior is made up of waterproof fabric. Many of them are reusable, washable and are available in a variety of colors.
- Disposable underwear – This is another option available to people that need to manage their incontinence. Disposable underwear is designed to soak up liquid waste and some can hold solid waste as well. Some have adjustable tapes that make it easy to remove and dispose of them after use.
The list of products that women use to manage incontinence is endless. If you wonder whether incontinence products for women are right for you, here are some benefits that you have to experience to believe.
1. They give you a freedom
Nothing is more stressful than trying to go about regular activities when you are not sure if you will embarrass yourself by mess yourself in public. When you embrace the use of these incontinence products, you are assured that regardless of the time when a mishap happens, it will be contained, and nobody will know that it happened. The use of the products, therefore, allows you to interact with people and go anywhere without having to worry about messes.
2. They trap odors
The second thing that worries most people suffering from incontinence is odors. If you cannot hold your urine, and it ends up leaking onto your inner garments, you could slowly start suffering from a characteristic smell, which makes it difficult for other people to interact comfortably with you.
There is no better way to beat these odors than by using incontinence products. When you use the right products, unpleasant odors will not limit you, and you would be able to perform activities without ruining your reputation or facing stigma.
3. They give you confidence
There is nothing scarier than having to face a day full of activities while not knowing when you will need to relieve yourself in a hurry, and have no access to a proper facility. The fear of embarrassing yourself in front of your friends and peers can be very disturbing. If you suffer from a deteriorating health, which leads to incontinence, you just need to start using the right female incontinence products, to ensure that fear of stigma will be a thing of the past. When you are sure that any leak will be contained and you will not have incidences, it becomes easier to face people on a daily basis and continue with life, even while being unwell.
4. Prevention of rashes and bedsores
Bedridden patients cannot access the bathroom. When they do not have the right incontinence products, they end up wetting their beds and soiling themselves after bowel movements. This persistent wetness creates an additional problem because it leads to skin irritations, which in time, turns into bedsores. These sores are difficult to heal, and the fact that the patient has to lie on the affected part of the body worsens the inflammation. There are breathable adult diapers that you can use to deal with the wetness and prevent the development of bedsores. The best quality diapers have superior moisture wicking properties, meaning that when you wet yourself, they absorb the moisture and the surface of the diaper is left soft, dry and comfortable.
5. Simplifying the work of the caretaker
Adult diapers are also a great choice when the person using them is bedridden and has a long-term illness. They allow the person who is caring for the patient to manage cleanliness and hygiene properly. They also reduce the possibility of the bedding, the floor and other parts of the home from being soiled, which simplifies the job of the caregiver; while at the same time, provide dignity to the person suffering from incontinence.
6. Reducing the possibility of contamination
Sometimes, people use adult diapers when they have conditions that can be contagious. For instance, if you have a bout of diarrhea, and you have not figured out its cause, it would be best not to have any of that waste on items such as clothes and beddings as it could lead to the spread of germs. Diapers can be put to effective use to contain excrements, and prevent the possibility of germs spreading to people who are taking care or who are close to the sick person.
7. Managing conditions from childbirth
Note that unlike men, women suffer from several unique issues that can trigger incontinence. For instance, childbirth is known to lead to the loss of the ability of pelvic muscles to hold the bladder and bowels. This happens when women experience long and obstructed labor. Conditions like fistula, which also result from labor, lead to incontinence. The only way a woman can keep her dignity as she looks for surgery to fix the problem permanently is by using adult diapers.
The ultimate reason why women adopt the use of diapers is for their comfort and convenience. With the right diapers, complications that arise from incontinence are a thing of the past.