Incontinence in women is now a matter of great concern in the health sector. According to the National Association for Incontinence (NAI), over 25 million adult Americans suffer from some form of urinary incontinence and 75-80% of these are women. The same study says 1 in 4 women over the age of 18, experience episodes of involuntary urine release. On the other hand, the Urology Care Foundation (UCF) says that there are risk factors associated with the condition. These include, pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause; making women more prone to the condition. If you are suffering from incontinence or you have someone under your care, it is imperative to get more insight on incontinence products for women. These days there are many incontinence solutions available that are specifically designed to help women suffering from this debilitating condition regain control of their lives. This guide seeks to provide an insight into adult incontinence and to identify the best products in the market to manage the condition.
Demystifying Incontinence in Adults
They say you can only manage what you know. For this reason, it is important to understand adult incontinence in details. The most common forms of incontinences in adults are caused by a loss of bladder or bowel control.
Causes Of Adult Incontinence
- The major causes of incontinence in adults include:
- Hormonal changes and weight gain during pregnancy
- Physical strain during childbirth
- Reproductive system surgery such as hysterectomy
- Loss of bladder/bowel control due to old age
- Enlarged prostate and prostate cancer
- Obstruction in the bladder caused by tumors
- Neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and Multiple sclerosis
Looking at these causes, it is obvious that women are at a greater risk and it is not surprising then that over 75% of all adult incontinence cases occur in women.
Forms Of Urinary Incontinence In Women
- The above causes lead to different forms of incontinence in women the most common being:
- Stress incontinence: Caused by sudden pressure on the bladder
- Overflow incontinence: When the bladder doesn’t empty completely
- Urge incontinence (overactive bladder): A sudden urge to go followed by involuntary loss of urine.
- Mixed incontinence: Caused by a combination of more than one form of incontinence
Knowing the type of incontinence that you seek to manage, helps you buy the right incontinence products for women. Those who suffer from incontinence should ask a doctor to analyze their condition because it is always a symptom of a bigger underlying issue. In the meantime, you should buy a suitable incontinence product to ensure your life does not grind to a halt.
Debilitating Effect of Incontinence in Women
Every modern woman leads an active lifestyle. For this reason, you have to tackle anything that threatens to slow you down immediately. Incontinence has a debilitating impact on a woman’s life, this why you need an efficient solution to handle it.
Some of the negative effects a woman suffering from incontinence grapples with include:
- Loss of professional opportunities: You might be forced to forego some professional opportunities that involve an active lifestyle and public activities.
- Health risks: Loss of your active lifestyle will lead to health risks including being overweight, diabetes and heart disease among other dangerous illnesses. Skin infections associated with involuntary urine release can also grow worse over time.
- Loss of self-esteem: Once you discover you are suffering from bladder problems, you will withdraw from your normal social activities. Your professional and social lives will take a hit and this in turn affects your mental wellbeing.
Many other problems ail women suffering from any form of incontinence. The worst part of it is that most women opt to suffer in silence due to the embarrassment and stigma associated with the condition. They think this is a personal problem and try resolving it by wrapping it up. This means they cannot come forward and take advantage of assistance available to all.
Incontinence Products to the Rescue
Advances in the manufacture of wellness products have resulted in the launch of more effective incontinence systems into the market. There are incontinence systems specifically designed for women, that are more comfortable to wear and more efficient to use.
Some of the common incontinence systems specifically designed for women include:
Adult diapers for women
These are designed with a woman’s body in mind. They can be either disposable or reusable. The material used in the construction of these diapers is highly absorbent and sturdy. Disposable products are used once and they can handle low, medium and high incontinence levels. Washable diapers on the other hand are more cost-effective.
Adult Incontinence Briefs For Women
For the active woman who needs a more flexible and versatile system to manage incontinence. These are worn just like the ordinary underwear but they are specially designed to absorb liquids. They keep the wearer dry throughout the day and allow them to enjoy a fuller lifestyle.
Incontinence Pads and Liners
These are very common and are even used by women who don’t normally suffer from regular episodes of urine loss. They are comfortable to wear but best for those women who need a lighter absorbency level. They protect against embarrassment and they are ideal if you have ever experienced some form of bladder problem.
Shopping For Incontinence Products
There are other variations of these products but ultimately they are all designed to help the wearer enjoy a life without limits. Now that there are so many brands selling such products, consider the following to make the right purchase:
- High levels of absorbency to cut on cost of incontinence management
- Comfort and flexibility of the product
- Safety of the materials used
- Reputation of the brand and quality of their products
- Quality guarantees for every product
- Sturdy construction of the product and reliable technology for higher efficiency
Modern Incontinence products for women provide users with more control of their lives and help them grab any opportunities that come their way without fears. If you are living in fear of embarrassment due to incontinence, it is time to regain control of your life by buying the most suitable incontinence system. Choose to use tried and tested products that are safe, highly absorbent and comfortable.