Anyone suffering from adult incontinence and indeed anyone caring for someone living with the condition appreciates how frustrating every single day can be. According to the National Association for Incontinence (NAI) over 25 million Americans suffer from adult incontinence. From this number about 75 – 80% of them are women. but the most worrying thing is that the number could even be higher. In fact, a report by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality states that the prevalence of adult incontinence could be as high as 16%. The impact of this condition on an individual’s life is debilitating and can lead to a loss of self-esteem, the risk of skin infection and a negative impact on social and professional life among other problems. This is where incontinence products come in handy as they provide you or a loved one control of their lives once more.
A Brief Overview of Incontinence
It is imperative for anyone suffering from any form of medical condition to take time to learn more about their affliction. Information is power may be a hackneyed phrase but when it comes to incontinence in adults, any and all information you have about the condition will help you find the best incontinence management option.
For a start, you need to appreciate the most typical causes of this condition include:
- Bladder muscles issues that include a weak or overactive bladder
- Neurological disorders: The nerves that control the bladder could be damaged due to Parkinson’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis or other conditions.
- Temporary urinary incontinence: can be caused by large doses of vitamin C, muscle relaxants, sedatives, heart and blood pressure medications, alcohol and caffeine among others thing.
- Pregnancy and childbirth: excessive weight of the fetus, hormonal changes and weakened muscles caused by vaginal deliveries contribute in their own way
- The aging of bladder muscles can lead to a decrease in the bladder’s capacity to store urine.
- Menopause: Less estrogen production during this stage in a woman’s life, can lead to poor condition of the lining of the bladder and urethra.
- Enlarged prostate/prostate cancer: is a major risk factor among men.
These causes of adult incontinence cause different levels of incontinence in adults. The affliction is classified into several types based on the reason behind Involuntary fecal or urinary leakage. These include:
- Stress incontinence: Caused by sneezing, coughing and exercising.
- Urge incontinence: Caused by sudden, involuntary bladder contractions that lead to urinary leakage.
- Overflow incontinence: Where bladder obstruction means it can’t empty fully.
- Mixed incontinence: This is a condition caused by a combination of stress and urge incontinence.
Incontinence Products in Brief
There are various products to choose from, These include:
- All-in-One Adult Diaper: This is the most common solution for adult incontinence and is suitable for both men and women. It is made from cloth and is among the oldest products made to deal with this condition.
- Pull ups: These are protective underwear that offers moderate absorbency. They are suitable for both urge incontinence and overflow incontinence. They can be worn just like ordinary underwear and fit comfortably.
- Leakage pads: These are mostly used by women. These pads offer light to moderate absorbency and are ideal for stress incontinence.
- Reusable/washable products: They are more affordable and provide moderate absorbency
- Overnight adult diapers: These are designed to offer maximum absorbency. They are idea for people with severe incontinence and offer comfort throughout the night.
- Disposable adult diapers: These are used once and disposed of after use. They are ideal for people with low or medium incontinence. They are more expensive but are more flexible to use.
- Gender specific diapers: Adult diapers for men or women are designed with a specific gender in mind.
How to choose the Right incontinence Protection
When buying incontinence products you should be guided by these considerations:
- Level of incontinence: This determines the level of absorbency you need (high/low/medium).
- Size: The size you choose must fit well, both for comfort and to avoid embarrassments.
- Efficiency: Look for the highest quality of construction in the market to guarantee optimal performance.
- Disposal method: Go for a product that is easy to dispose and more importantly one whose disposal does not affect the environment negatively.
- Price: Look for incontinence protection that is cost-effective because you will be purchasing these products for some time.
What Can High Quality Incontinence Products Do For You
Irrespective of the reason behind adult incontinence, it is important to buy high quality incontinence products to manage the condition. The products under the Wellness® Brief and Underwear program are among the most highly regarded products in the market. The brand’s award winning multi-layered Wellness® Brief products are comfortable to wear, affordable and versatile and they give the user another chance to live a full life.
Such high quality solutions have various advantages that include:
- Freedom to enjoy life: These adult incontinence management solutions give the user more freedom to live a full life without any limits. Whatever the type of incontinence you are suffering from, using these products will not impact your life negatively.
- Higher self-esteem: Adult incontinence seriously impacts the self-esteem of people suffering from incontinence and this in turn makes them withdraw into themselves. By using a high quality incontinence management solution, you will give your self-esteem a boost, allowing you to take advantage of opportunities in life.
- Better quality life: You can participate in any activities that improve the quality of your life. Whether you love jogging or hitting the gym, you can still do it without any fear of embarrassment.
- Health benefits: There are no risks of skin and urinary tract infections associated with uncontrolled urinary adult incontinence.
There are so many other benefits that are associated with adult incontinence management products in the market. There are versatile designs of diapers, briefs and pull-ups that make it easier for every type of user to find a fitting buy. Whether you or a loved one is incapacitated by injury, age, disability or if you are suffering from any other risk factor leading to adult incontinence, you will find a product that suit your unique situation.
While incontinence is one of the most frustrating medical conditions you can suffer from, modern technology now provides high quality incontinence products that help you live comfortably. Your life does not need to grind to a halt just because you suffer from involuntary urine/fecal release. Go ahead and choose high quality incontinence protection and continue living your life without limits.