Advancing age, deteriorating health, accidents, and other factors trigger incontinence in Adults. Adult diapers provide people suffering from incontinence with a vital means for them to maintain personal hygiene. Using diapers does not mean that the user would feel comfortable and clean automatically. However, their use allows the user to regain their dignity and have an almost normal life regardless of the challenges they encounter. The tips we discuss here can help make the use of adult diapers convenient and hygienic for women.
Use Quality Diapers
Numerous brands offer female incontinence products. Although all of them advertise their products as the best, experience proves that this is not always the truth. It is impossible to tell the quality of a diaper just by looking at it or holding it in your hand. However, looking for the following features and considering the points mentioned below will help you to choose the best quality.
- The material used – settle for adult diapers for women made of a material that is soft to the skin yet tough enough to contain incontinence.
- Test a few brands – Spend some time buying one or two diapers from different brands and evaluate their performance. If you are not using them yourself, ask the wearer to give you their opinion of the durability, fit, and performance of the product. You will eventually find the perfect brand that provides quality products.
- Referral – getting a recommendation for another user, is an easy way to know more about adult diapers that someone else tested. It saves you the time of having to check everything yourself.
In general, most consumers believe that expensive products are quality products. This is a misconception, and may not always be the case. Many factors influence the price of female adult diapers like the store you buy them from, the brand you choose, whether the diaper is subsidized or not, the quantity of the product you buy, etc. Nevertheless, you have to pay more to get best quality diapers.
Get the Perfect Size
Leakages cause a drop in the level of hygiene for women that adult diapers can provide. Leakages mostly occur when the diaper is oversize or undersize. When it is oversize, incontinence will leak out easily. When the diaper is under size, the straps may snap off easily, leaving the users clothes and beddings soiled.
It is difficult to determine the best size when the patient who will use the diaper is immobile. However, you have a few options to determine the size of adult diapers for women. You could ask the caregiver or attendant to help you take measurements using a tape to determine the perfect size. Measure the patient’s waist, hips, and thighs. If you are buying in her absence, you need to get a diaper that is a size higher as well as one a size lower from the same brand and design for trial purposes. However, always remember that sizes are not universal, meaning that the dimensions of a diaper that has a similar numerical size but have a different brand, may vary.
Disposable vs. Reusable
When using female adult diapers, hygiene and comfort are determined by getting feedback from both the wearer and the caregiver alike. Each of them needs to feel comfortable with the way the diaper handles or manages incontinence.
Which adult diapers are more hygienic, the washable or the disposable ones? The debate is never ending. Personal preference takes center stage in such a discussion.
However, technology has enabled disposable adult diapers for women to provide higher standards of hygiene. Never the less, using strong detergents and machine washing can compromise the reliability of reusable diapers.
Reusable diapers are mostly made with a stronger fabric, whereas while disposable ones have gels and other enhancements.
The Right Type
Different types of adult diapers for women are available to help deal with the type of incontinence you are dealing with. For instance, there are diapers specifically designed for urinary incontinence. Others are designed for use during the day or on people who are a bit mobile. This means that regardless of their quality, when a user uses an ordinary diaper at night, its performance can be compromised, leading to a not so good morning for both the caregiver and the user.
There are urinary incontinence products for men and others for women. Choosing men products leaves the user exposed to malfunction because of the difference in the physiology of the user. Expecting adult diapers designed for urinary incontinence to handle fecal incontinence is unrealistic. The user will be living in highly unhygienic conditions if they don’t use the correct type of diaper.
Women who need to use adult diapers, or caregivers attending to female users can take a few more steps to improve hygiene. Some of the steps they can follow are
- Change the diapers regularly – Change the diaper as soon as it is soiled. This prevents the incontinence from soaking the diaper and leaking out.
- Enhance incontinence protection – In addition to using adult diapers for women there are measures the user or the caregiver can take to reduce the severity of incontinence. Use liners or pads along with the diaper. This would increase the time it takes for the incontinence to reach the diaper. Doing this also reduces the amount of incontinence that gets to the diaper. You can also use other disposable protective products like pads, tampons, and specialized pants.
- It is also possible to control or reduce the severity of bed-wetting. The first step should be to seek medical attention before settling for adult diapers for women. There are infections, habits and lifestyle choices that one can correct through medical attention, thus reducing their dependence on diapers. There are bladder restraining exercises and therapy that can reduce the severity and even stop incontinence. The affected woman should empty her bladder before going to bed. The rate of fluid intake should be monitored and controlled. There are bed sheets that are designed to work alongside adult diapers to provide protection especially at night.
Failure to ensure a hygienic use of adult diapers for women will expose the users and their caregivers to infections. It is also uncomfortable to handle incontinence at all times. Being incontinent denies the wearer their sense of dignity, and may deal them a psychological blow. Remember, hygiene is enhanced through making the right choice while selecting products and by taking cleanliness initiatives while using the product.