Are you or someone close to you suffering from bladder control issues? Is incontinence ruining your life? Are you aware that using adult incontinence diapers would help you live a more normal and active life? Here are a few things about incontinence and incontinence supplies that would help you while you shop for incontinence products.
What is Adult Incontinence?
A person is said to be suffering from incontinence or is incontinent when they lose voluntary control over their bowel or bladder causing urine or fecal leakage. While incontinence is more common amongst elderly people of both genders, women seem to be at higher risk of urinary incontinence. About 50% of adults across the country suffer from fecal or urinary incontinence at some point in their lives.
An estimated 25 million people In the United States are dealing with incontinence every day. This leaves us with the realization that incontinence is not as rare a condition as we may think. In addition to the medications and treatments that help cure or reduce the severity of incontinence, there are a variety of incontinence diapers and other incontinence products available at physical stores and online as well.
Types of Urinary Incontinence & Causes
Understanding what causes incontinence is the first step towards treating or controlling this lack of control on our urges. Let us have a look at the five main reasons for urinary incontinence in adults
- Stress Incontinence: Urine leaks occur when you sneeze, laugh, cough, do heavy lifting, or any other activity that increase the pressure on weak bladder muscles. Childbirth is a major contributing factor in women, while prostate surgery is a major cause for stress incontinence in men. With some high absorbent adult diapers and overnight adult diapers available on the market, it has become possible to handle stress incontinence and live a confident and comfortable life.
- Urge Incontinence: If you experience the sudden urge to urinate and lose control of your bladder before you reach the bathroom, you are suffering from urge incontinence. Factors like aging, kidney stones, bladder infection and cancer could cause urge incontinence. Excessive consumption of caffeinated beverages, acidic food and sugar rich juices can aggravate urge incontinence, and make the condition even worse.
- Overflow Incontinence: Simply put, patients suffering from this problem frequently feel the urge to urinate, but are unable to empty their bladder completely. They end up releasing small amounts of urine repeatedly instead. Weak bladder muscles, blockage of the urethra and nerve damage are some common reasons that cause overflow incontinence in adults. Anti-depressants and anticonvulsant medication may also contribute to adult incontinence.
- Total Incontinence: Compared to other urinary incontinence conditions mentioned above, this condition is harder to live with. You suffer constant, involuntary leaks. Some primary causes of this type of incontinence include adverse effect of surgery, chronic bladder inflammation, an overactive bladder and weak pelvic floor muscles.
- Functional Incontinence: This urinary incontinence condition is quite common amongst adults who have musculoskeletal problems like back pain and arthritis or amongst those who are bound to wheelchairs. It occurs when someone fails to reach the toilet in time.
Not only adults suffer from urinary incontinence. Younger women and men can have incontinence due to various factors including pregnancy, physical injury and surgery. Incontinence can cause stress and patients may find it embarrassing to discuss their problem with family or others. However, with the right incontinence diapers and guidance by doctor, they can manage to live a comfortable and stress-free life every day.
Two Types of Adult Diapers
Incontinence is a problem that is more common amongst people above the age of 45. The condition can cause discomfort and inconvenience at times. For some, it may prevent them from performing normal day-to-day activities. Nevertheless, they can live an active and worry-free life by using the right adult diapers and pads.
All incontinence diapers also known as ‘adult diapers’, can be divided into two categories, depending on how they fit one’s body; Pull-ups (Absorbent Underwear) and Adult Diapers (Tape-on diapers/ incontinence briefs/Tab-top).
Pull-ups are similar to your regular undergarment except that they have high absorbent cloth on the inside. These are discreet and can be worn comfortable under everyday clothes. Some pull-up undergarments come with tear-away sides so that the wearer can easily remove them.
Tape-on adult diapers as the name suggests, come with adjustable tabs to ensure a comfortable fit. They are easier to use and come in different absorbency capacity. They are more suitable for patients and the elderly who are looked after by caregivers.
Some important things to consider before buying adult diapers
Terms like adult diapers, incontinence diapers, incontinence briefs and incontinence undergarment have identical meaning. You need to choose between using a pull-up or tape-on style incontinence product. Here are a few other things you need to take into account while shopping for adult diapers
- Size: Make sure that the diaper you use is of the correct size. It is a good idea to have your measurements handy while shopping at a retail shop or online. Remember, different brands of adult diapers manufacture products in different sizes, and that not all of them follow a standard size-chart. Size charts vary from one incontinence brand to another. Getting a wrong size would result in failure to ensure 100% protection against accidental urine leaks. Incontinence briefs you buy should fit comfortably. They should not be too loose or too tight. Search for incontinence brands that offer first time buyers free samples, so that you can check the quality and fit at no cost.
- Absorbency: If you suffer from light to moderate incontinence, using an incontinence pad or low absorbency adult diaper will suffice. However, if you involuntarily release large volume of urine, you should look for higher absorbency adult diapers.
- Gender: The market is full of both, unisex diapers and gender-specific diapers. The comfort and protection that a product offers may vary. Try both types of adult diapers to see which fits your needs better.
- Other Benefits: Besides protection from urine leakage, see what other benefits the adult diaper product you choose offers. For example, some may offer great odor control, some are easier to wear and some products ensure better comfort. Some incontinence brands also offer color options in adult diapers.
A Quick Takeaway:
Remember these three rules while using incontinence briefs:
- Don’t forget to change diapers as instructed by the manufacturer. Usually, you need to change a diaper 2-4 times a day. If you suffer from bedwetting, invest in overnight diapers with a good absorbency capacity.
- Avoid wearing clothing that are too tight. Wearing dark colored clothes are a better choice.
- You can apply some lotion to the area that is often exposed to accidently released urine.
Now shop for your incontinence diapers online and start living a confident life!