Are you the primary care giver of an incontinent parent? Are you the health care provider to an elderly patient who faces incontinence? Then, you are a witness to the constant self-derision and frustration they face on a day to day basis. It is important that such patients do not slip into depression and morbidity. Incontinence is not really physically debilitating but can prove to be the cause of rapid emotional deterioration. While others tend to take keeping dry as a given thing, the incontinent adults face a constant struggle to keep dry and comfortable. This is a very real fear as psychological morbidity can become very dangerous.
It is not unknown that severely depressed people, especially the elderly and infirm people, may harbor withdrawal tendencies. They feel that they will never get relief from the problem and that the situation is untenable. The added lonesomeness, if the spouse is absent, adds to the despair. In case you are going through the same conditions, then a good counselor can provide some relief from anxiety and depression. To get some modicum of control over incontinence, regular use of an overnight adult pull up is highly recommended.
Maintaining The Dignity of Incontinent People
In most cases, the old and infirm have a sense of loss of dignity when incontinence takes over. This helplessness is a tangible feeling which makes patients feel that his or her dignity is compromised. These older people are knowledgeable and smart; they have oodles of life experiences and have lived through the trials and tribulations of life. However, at some stage of life, ageism becomes an unfortunate reality that has to be handled in the best of ways. Add to it the indignity caused by incontinence and there are some miserable situations on hand. The good news is that incontinence can be contained with overnight adult pull ups.
It is painful when elders must learn to accept the loss of their independence, but it essential for care givers to ensure that they can live with a semblance of dignity and respect. If you happen to be a caregiver then these helpful tips will help you go an extra mile with them.
- Give them privacy and respect. Incontinence can be controlled with proper intervention. It is a lifelong issue but the situation can be controlled.
- Exercise patience in the face of intractable situation. It is a good idea not to ridicule or belittle accidents. The accident is involuntary. Do help clean up and change the diaper with no visible disgust or irritation.
- In some cases senility or other mental health issues like Alzheimer’s or dementia may set in. This condition makes it even more critical to have a good care giver who deals with the incontinent patient with compassion and empathy. Compassion is the corner stone of working with the elderly.
- Adopt easy techniques to help the elderly suffering from incontinence be mobile and alert. Go with them for short walks. If the problem is mild incontinence, it is considered a natural progression of old age and can be contained in a mess free manner with overnight adult pull up diapers, which promise to contain leakage for a longer time.
- It is imperative that regular medical check-ups are done to ensure that there are no physical problems that may make the condition worse. Health care professionals can also recommend medication and physiotherapy, as applicable, to help minimize the problem.
- It is very necessary to keep elderly patients busy and interactive as it is very easy to lose them to mental health issues. Simple games, television, trading stories, even video games keep the elderly mentally agile. This also helps in containing incontinence as the patient is more aware of his bodily functions and can indicate an urge to void.
The Perfect Incontinence Product Ensures Peace of Mind
The right incontinence product makes sure that the patient suffers no embarrassing leaks and stains. There is a dry and comfortable feeling creating a general sense of well-being. The right product, such as an overnight adult pull up, is one which suits the patient’s lifestyle. A fairly active person may feel secure in a sleek and discreet pull up. The absorbent core keeps the patient dry but leaves no bulky diaper line under the patient’s clothes. This allows the patient to lead an active social life and offers a modicum of normalcy.
Products like an adult pull up diaper allows the patient to go for longer periods without a change. It is not merely used for overnight wear, but can also be used if it is not possible to change diapers very frequently. This allows the patient freedom to travel and indulge in light sports and other activities. The closer the patient gets to a semblance of normalcy, the better the quality of life he or she can lead. So, help such people choose the correct product and be fancy free.
A heavily incontinent patient needs a bulkier product that is super absorbent and has adjustable leg cuffs to provide better leakage control. Side tabs are a way to ensure that these diapers can be changed conveniently even if the patient is bed ridden. The adjustable tabs make it easier to find a good fit for obese and apple shaped patients who have large bellies. A good fit is important to avoid leakages. If your diaper is super absorbent, but the fit is not snug, it might be a recipe for disaster. There are bound to be accidents if the diaper bunches up or shifts to one side. It is good to be vigilant about the way your diaper conforms to your body shape.
Regardless of whether you are suffering from incontinence, or are a caregiver, choose the right product in the right size and style to reclaim your active lifestyle. Your choice of incontinence products also needs to be affordable as the usage is high. Choose wisely, as these are products are the ones that you are likely to use for a long time.