As a senior or person suffering from incontinence, have you been looking for effective products to handle your night-time woes? Many diseases which do not cause any significant incontinence issues in the daytime are notorious for causing night time incontinence. This condition is also called nocturnal enuresis. It affects over 2% adults, especially the elderly age group. There are many reasons for night time incontinence like Diabetes Mellitus, a small capacity bladder or an irritable bladder, urological disorders; hormonal disorders which may increase night time urge to urinate, family traits of incontinence or even the use of certain medicines with a diuretic effect. It is a good option to manage night time incontinence with the help of overnight adult pull up.
Have you chosen the best overnight adult pull-up or diaper?
A good overnight diaper will make life quite comfortable for you. It will embed a sense of security and peace when you sleep the night through. It keeps the bedding dry and odor free and generally adds to the sense of well being. The need to go the bathroom is minimized and the fear of wetting the bed is mitigated, so your bed time is stress free.
- As the diaper is meant for extended time use, the most important consideration is absorbency. The average overnight diaper has a top layer that wicks away the urine from the skin, leaving a dry feel on the diaper surface. This is also very important in avoiding skin infections and rashes. Such incontinence products have a super absorbent core and all round protection to ensure maximum fluid retention and no spills or leakage. You are free to add a liner or booster pad to improve absorbency. Every brand has a different level of absorbency. Make sure that you understand the number of ounces the diaper can handle and how much is needed to keep you dry through the night.
- The other major consideration to keep in mind while choosing an overnight adult pull up is the ‘wearability’ of the product. The diaper should feel comfortable against the skin and should not be the cause of skin irritations. The plastic material outside the diaper should not be overheating your skin, or making noise on movement, thereby disturbing your rest. The pull up nature of certain diapers is easy to wear and remove if you have the need to change during the night; especially if you are reasonably mobile.
- Another vital consideration is the fit of the diaper. If the fit is not comfortable it might be difficult to get a good night’s sleep. Also, if the fit is not adequate around the leg cuffs, there might be leaks and spills. If there are gaps due to a particular body shape, for example, if you have a big belly, there might be spills even if the diaper is super absorbent. All brands have a different fit and it is important to find the right one to be comfortable and dry.
Different products have different qualities
The different brands available today in the overnight adult pull up space provide a variety of features,
- There are latex free diapers available that hold over a quart of liquid and offer maximum night time protection. The absorbent core promotes skin safety and keeps bad odor away. The absence of latex also improves upon bio degradability parameters.
- Some brands offer diapers with padded panels and special stretch polymers that maximize mobility and comfort. The padded leg cuffs add to their leak free experiences.
- Some brands have incorporated unique designs into their overnight diapers that have been inspired by NASA. The technology is the same as the one used for the heavy duty diapers built for astronauts. They can absorb up to 2.6 liters of urine.
- Reusable overnight briefs are available but experts opine that skin irritations are more common as the top layer remains wet and the pH balance is not controlled as in modern disposable pull up diapers.
Advantages of overnight adult pull up diapers over tab style diapers
The pull up style of diapers is arguably the best style for reasonably mobile persons. These mimic the normal underwear, but have a super absorbent core. They are easy to wear and remove. They do not have any Velcro or fasteners and so the risk of slippage is not there. It is also an advantage if the diaper user is able to reach the bathroom and can simply pull down the diaper like normal underwear and use the bathroom, thus reducing the dependency on diapers.
The style being close to normal briefs, these pull ups afford more discrete wearing and are a boost to the dignity of users. They are available in slim fit designs that do not show up against clothes and embarrass the diaper user. If the fit is snug, an adult pull up serves to be the most effective style available for light to moderate incontinence. To add to the snug fit experience, some brands use elasticized crotches to great effect. Another trick diaper manufacturers use to enhance the fit is to use inner leg cuffs. In this style, the pull up extends an inch or so around the leg to contain leaks. If the incontinence is very heavy, pull ups give wearers the freedom to add a booster or liner as a supplement to increase capacity.
Overnight adult pull up diapers do not limit themselves to night time use. If you are in a situation where changing a diaper is not a feasible option, the overnight diapers can be used as extended time day diapers also. They are a wonderfully discreet option that gives you a large modicum of freedom and dignity. Feel free to wear any kind of outer clothes over your pull ups and enjoy the feeling of normalcy it provides you. If this post has been informative and useful towards helping you or your loved one make an informed choice do leave a comment. That will help others too!