If you or a loved one is suffering from any form of adult incontinence, you appreciate how frustrating treating and managing this condition can be. While the National Association for Incontinence (NAI) says there are over 25 million Americans living with urinary incontinence, the number could even be higher considering that the younger population is not included in most of these studies. A more comprehensive survey by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) in collaboration with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) says over half of the adult population in the country suffers from some form of incontinence. Despite this high prevalence, there is a dearth of information on treatment and management of this debilitating condition. It is only today that the role of incontinence products in alleviating the suffering experienced by patients is being appreciated. If you are wondering how you can improve the quality of care for an elderly relative, it is time you got more insight on adult incontinence and about the best products to manage it.
Understanding Adult Incontinence
Before buying any incontinence products, it is important to understand the condition you are dealing with. Whether you are the one suffering from adult incontinence or you want to provide the best care for a loved one under your watch, this information will go a long way to help you make the right decision. The National Association for Incontinence (NAI) classifies bowel and bladder problems under adult incontinence and most incontinence products in the market are designed to deal with both conditions.
There are different types of adult incontinences including:
1. Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI): Caused by sudden pressure on the bladder muscles leading to involuntary bowel or bladder movement.
2. Overflow incontinence: Occurs when the bladder can’t hold the volume of urine produced for various reasons. This leads to dripping of urine.
3. Mixed incontinence: A combination of two or more types of incontinences.
4. Urge incontinence: A sudden and intense urge to urinate which in most cases leads to soiling of underpants. Sometimes also referred to as Overactive Bladder (OAB):
The causes of these forms of incontinences range greatly and it is advisable to talk to your doctor about a diagnosis. Major causes include
- Pregnancy and childbirth (vaginal delivery)
- Weakened bladder muscle due to age
- Menopause due to less estrogen production
- Surgeries such as Hysterectomy in women
- Prostate problems including enlarged prostate and prostate cancer.
- Obstruction caused by tumors
- Neurological disorders including Parkinson’s disease and Multiple sclerosis
When shopping for incontinence products, it is important to understand risk factors such as smoking, being overweight, old age and other diseases such as diabetes. If you are taking care of a senior, this information will help you appreciate the suffering your loved one is going through. If you are shopping for incontinence products for your personal use, then this information will come in handy in determining the type of products to buy.
Types of Incontinence Products
The increased prevalence of adult incontinence has led to the emergence of many products in the market. They come in all designs that are suited for different levels of incontinence. Among the most common incontinence products are:
1. Bladder Control Pads and Male Guards
These are the most common incontinence products in the market and they are designed to closely fit inside regular underwear. They provide just the right amount of absorbency for a particular period and are flexible enough to allow you to do everything you wish.
2. Pull-On/Protective Underwear
These incontinence products look like regular underwear but they are specially designed to absorb liquids. Their construction allows for easy wearing with the stretchy side panels holding tightly to your body. They are now worn with regular underwear and are supposed to be comfortable to allow easy movement.
3. Adult Diapers
This is the broadest category in incontinence products and they are hailed as having revolutionized control and management of adult incontinence. They include men and women diapers, overnight diapers, washable and disposable adult diapers. These incontinence products offer the wearer better protection and are designed for different levels of incontinence and come in different sizes.
Disposable diapers are ideal for the more active users who want a versatile and flexible diaper. Washable diapers are considered more cost effective as they can be reused. However, their absorbency levels reduce with time and they are considered too messy to handle.
4. Pant Liners
These incontinence products are larger than bladder control pads and are used with adhesive tape to hold to a pant. They are ideal for people suffering from urine urge incontinence. Users can carry several of regular changes throughout the day.
These are just a few of the incontinence products you will find in the market. If you are looking for the most absorbent adult diapers on the market today, Unique Wellness is the brand to look for. Their products are manufactured using technology borrowed from NASA. Their high absorbency incontinence products help cut the cost of managing adult incontinence as wearers require fewer changes. Their products have won various awards, giving users an assurance about the efficiency of the technology.
How to Buy Incontinence Products
With so many brands making incontinence products, buying the right one can be tricky. To make the right purchase, consider the following:
- Level of absorbency: Choose a product that suits the level of incontinence you want to manage.
- Brand reputation: Buy incontinence products from only established brands in the market.
- Efficiency: Go for products which are backed by cutting edge technology for maximum efficiency.
- Comfort: Look for adult diapers made from comfortable materials and whose design allows for easy fitting and removal. The diaper should perform without any risk of leaks. Mobility should also be a big consideration when buying incontinence products.
- Size: Make sure you confirm the size of the diapers a user wears. The adult diaper should fit snuggly for higher efficiency.
- Safety: Look for adult diapers made from a safe material that won’t cause skin irritation. These products should conform to the highest safety standards.
Incontinence products give the user another chance to live their lives without limits. The best products guarantee a better quality of life, comfort, better health and a vibrant lifestyle. If you have an elderly person under your care, go on and find the best adult diapers. They will appreciate the effort.